Impact of Social Media on Teenagers
Last updated: November 09, 2019
Media has had quite a deep impact on teenagers. This impact has both a good and bad side. Social media and networking sites such as FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, etc. have become a source of major distractions for students. Young boys and girls seem to have become inordinately addicted to these sites. They are thoughtlessly and uselessly wasting their precious time on these sites. Wise people say time well utilized is the time well spent, but the youth of today is only and only wasting time on chatting, messaging, uploading photographs and modifying profiles.
The smart phones and 4G connections have made the situation worse. Accessing such sites has become so easy that young boys and girls are using these sites almost everywhere and almost all the time. Students these days appear to be more worried about connecting to their friends on Facebook than being concerned about doing their studies, assignments and projects.
The major disadvantage of the increasing use of such networking sites is the spread of obscenity. This is having a very negative impact on the impressionable minds of our young children and leading them astray.
On the other hand, social networking and the facilities of media exchange formats facilitated by advancement in internet has made the life and work of so easy for everyone. Everything is available on social networking sites and platforms.
There is not a single sphere or walk of life where social networking and media are not being used. It is the internet and a computer everywhere.
NEGATIVE IMPACT :
- Heavy social media use can possibly lead to depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem.
- It can prevent the development of some social and direct communication skills.
- Lead to embolden people to harass others online.
- It can be a major distraction for students and can lead to poor academic performance.
- Some inappropriate posts may hurt job opportunities down the line.
POSITIVE IMPACT :
- It can provide a platform for shy people to express themselves and boost their confidence.
- Classrooms can use social media to keep students engaged in study material and lessons.
- It can facilitate communication between those that are marginalized.
- It also strengthens and maintains relationships with friends close and far.
- A healthy social media presence can be beneficial in attracting employers.
In conclusion, it can be said that the media is neither good or bad. It depends upon how we use it. We have to our teenagers how to use it judiciously for the betterment of the self.
Please do comment in the comment box and share your thoughts regarding this blog on Impact of Social Media on Teenagers. firstbloggers.com